Saint Martin’s was originally a Science College and as such we have a strong tradition of excellent science teaching. All pupils take the subject up to GCSE level with the most able scientists studying Triple Sciences. We have a specialist department with staff who have all taught up to “A” Level in 11 – 18 schools and therefore have huge experience at GCSE and A level.
Science helps us to understand the world around us. It enables us to ask questions, make observations, collect data, evaluate evidence, solve problems and make informed decisions.
Double Science -
AQA Core Science (Y10), AQA Additional Science (Y11)
Triple Science -
AQA Chemistry (Y11)
AQA Biology (Y11)
AQA Physics (Y11)
The Harris Academy at Peckham offers students at KS4 the AQA GCSE science course. The course gives students a good knowledge of science, by studying core sciences and additional science. Both courses combined provide a firm foundation for further study at A’ level and BTEC level 3 courses and for students who want to specialize in other scientific related subjects.
GCSE Additional Science
This course offers pupils knowledge of science, by studying Unit 2 from GCSE Biology, GCSE Chemistry and GCSE Physics. As a result students achieve a firm foundation to go on to study A-level/ BTEC level 3 Science subjects.
Controlled assessments (coursework) make up 25% of the course and the remaining 75% is examined and graded externally.
GCSE Triple Science
Students can opt for Triple Science, gaining GCSE’s in Chemistry, Physics and Biology. This is stretching course that builds upon information learnt in Core and Additional Science. For each GCSE, Controlled assessments (coursework) makes up 25% of the course and the remaining 75% is examined and graded externally.
Department takes advantage of all extra-curricular learning opportunities. Regular visits are made to Leicester University, Birmingham University, Cambridge University and a visit to the “Big Bang” national Science and Engineering Festival has become almost an annual event.