GCSE Design and Technology: Resistant Materials helps students develop the ability to design and make products with creativity and originality, using a range of materials and techniques.

This course offers a unique opportunity in the curriculum for candidates to identify and solve real problems by designing and making products in a wide range of contexts. Additionally, Design and Technology develops candidates’ interdisciplinary skills, all six Key Skills and their capacity for imaginative, innovative thinking, creativity and independence.

The specification is based upon the view that Design and Technology is essentially a practical activity involving the combination of skills with knowledge and understanding in order to design and make quality products. It is intended to develop candidates’ design and technological capability through a flexible and broad-based approach.



GCSE specifications in Design and Technology encourages learners to be inspired by following a broad and worthwhile course of study, gaining an insight into related sectors, such as manufacturing and engineering. Learners are encouraged to make informed decisions about further learning opportunities and career choices. This specification at GCSE requires students to develop their knowledge of woods, metals and plastics. Other materials may also be used and the use of new technologies is also encouraged. This course has 60 per cent controlled assessment in order to recognise the importance of practical work. The remaining 40 per cent is tested by examinations.


Currently offered Vex robotics – The VEX Robotics Design System offers students an exciting platform for learning about areas rich with career opportunities spanning science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). These are just a few of the many fields students can explore by creating with VEX Robotics technology. Beyond science and engineering principles, a VEX Robotics project encourages teamwork, leadership and problem solving among groups. It also allows educators to easily customize projects to meet the level of students’ abilities