Saint Martin’s was originally established in 1948 by the Dominican Sisters of St Catherine of Siena based in King William’s Town, South Africa as an independent girl’s school, Blessed Martin in the Fields at Stoke Lodge, Stoke Golding. This branch of the Dominican order was originally founded in 1877 by a group of women from Augsburg in Germany. Although now a state funded Catholic academy, the school grounds and buildings are still owned by the Dominicans.
The site of Stoke Lodge convent and school was originally adjacent to the current site. The present school building was constructed in 1963 in the grounds. Due to poor condition of the old building, it was demolished in 1971 and a new convent was built. The convent chapel was dedicated to The Holy Spirit and St Martin. The convent finally closed in 2011 and much of the land sold for housing.